Friday, April 16, 2010

walla walla day 1

Yesterday was pretty much the 13 hour epic road trip I had expected (including gas and food stops).  It was really nice to be welcomed by a very friendly host that was gracious enough to open up her home to me for the weekend. This is a really great thing that some of the races hosted by smaller communities seem to do.  The race organizer contacts several members of the community and finds individuals that are willing to host athletes coming into town for the competition.  This helps the race organizers to attract some of the bigger teams that are trying to stretch their budgets and helps out poor schmucks like me that are trying to stretch their own budget with limited funding from a team :P

 

I am really glad that I was able to come down the day before the first stage to give myself time to check in, clean my bike, and take my time to get ready for the race.  This is my first solo race in close to 2 years now, so I have to say that I was a little bit wound up last night as I was trying to go to sleep.  I guess that this is a good sign, it means that I am excited to get back into the game again J

 

I picked up my race package this morning and was quite surprised to get hit with a 30USD fee for one-day licenses to race in the US.  I guess that this rule has been around for a long time, but it has never been tightly enforced.  If an individual from just across the border was coming down to race, most organizers would simply ignore the rule in favour of helping attract more riders.  I am going to have to figure out how to get this UCI license out of the CCA as there are a couple of races coming up where they will not offer 1-day licenses and I have already paid my registration... learn something new every day!

No comments: