Saturday, September 02, 2006

Check out the view!


Today was our last day of the training camp on the track and both my stoker and I were exhausted. We still managed to push out better times that the other team (because we couldn't stand the thought of them getting faster times even if it is just a training camp :P) but by the end of the workout we were both ready to have an afternoon nap. But, instead we had to come back and go for an hour and a half recovery ride to get the lactic acid out of our legs. Although it is a little counter-intuitive, sometimes the best way to recover is to work just a little more. If you just sit around after a hard workout, then there is still a lot of lactic acid lingering around in your muscles that will make you feel sore and stiff the next day. Getting out and doing some light activity stimulates blood flow and flushes the lactic acid out of your muscles and helps your body to start repairing the damage from the previous hard work outs.

Tonight we went to a birthday dinner for my stoker's brother-in-law and DAMN is he a good cook! I find these types of functions to be one of those love-hate relationships. I love eating all of the wonderful food, learning about some new dishes, meeting some new people. But I hate the inevitable overeating and sore belly that ensues. Ahh well, I guess that it isn't so bad when I am getting around 4 hours of training in every day. I love these training camps because it is actually a lot of work to make sure that you eat enough :) If you do the math, a medium workout will burn an average of 1000 calories per hour. That means that when you add on the rest of a normal inactive day, that you need to take in nearly 6000 calories a day just to maintain the same weight. Do you have any idea how much food that is? That is like eating 12 quarter pounders with cheese :P That's right, 3 pounds of beef, 12 slices of cheese and 12 buns!

On that note, I will leave you with the wonderful view from the house that we had dinner at this evening. They have a really cool little patio right on the top of their house that gets this wonderful view. Kinda gets me thinking about what kind of add-on I could put on my house to get an awesome downtown/mountain/COP view... Could get expensive, but would be so worth it!

1 comment:

PEr said...

Stubbled upon your blog via Cyrus's. Good to see everything is working out for you, looks like the adventures are pouring on. I'll be following your progress, very interesting blog. Mind if I add you to my links?